Sunday, January 31, 2010

...and we're off!

I will start this blog under duress.

There is a lot going on in my life at the moment. I am a full time teacher at an adult learning center - a place at which most teachers don't want to end up. Me? I like it there, but it is stressful. I am working out regularly and am trying to get myself fit for life.

I am trying to complete another teaching qualification (Special Education, Part 2 for those in the know) online through OISE at the moment. I plan on completing the third (and final part) in the fall. Why? I dunno. I'm trying to overcome some boredom and I like to read and write. Besides, knowledge is a powerful tool in my line of work.

I am training for a five k run in mid-March. I'd love to say that it was a marathon or I was getting ready for something more inspiring than that. But, at least I am running most days and lifting kettlebells twice or three times a week. I'd like to add more wrestling (or some other martial art) into the mix, but the question I have is WHEN?) I like working out - my kids want to train with me, too.

Right, my kids. I am also a father of two little girls. Man, I am not just a dad. I am that fun-loving full of hugs and tickles dad who usually has enough energy to outlast them both. I love being around my children, and am grateful that my life is set up such that I can always have them with me. I get to wake them up, feed them and drop them off at school every day. Then I get to pick them up and talk to them about their days. Adventures and pictures and holidays. Awesome.

Finally, I turn 40 this year. I guess I never really thought about aging. I have a copy of the film "Vision Quest", with Matthew Modine in my head, as I have wrestled since the aged of fifteen. The opening lines of the film go something along the lines of "I turn 18 this year, and I haven't even done anything yet." It's kinda like that for me, except I'm turning 40, and I ahve done some stuff, just nothing that I would consider "Shute worthy" (Watch the movie to get the reference)

Really, I think this is a place to start. There are a lot of possibilities opening up ahead of me. I want to maek sure that I can get all of them inside my head before making some decision that might cost me more than just money, it might cost me a lot of time.

Like I said, duress.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the web-o-blog-o-sphere... I actually saw a copy of vision quest in the mall the other day, almost picked it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy - and an extra one, too. I'll stiuck it in the mail, if I remember to get that done...;)

    ReplyDelete