Thursday, September 23, 2010

Virtual Learning Certification


Idaho is thinking about getting some teachers additional qualifications to make sure people know how to teach online courses.

Now, I've done a few online courses, with some success and a few "Didn't quite make its" (aka failures) so I have to weigh in on this idea:

It's a good idea.

The second type of course I've done (ie the "Didn't quite make it" ones) were my fault. I acknowledge my failure to complete a few online courses in my time. However, I've also had help. Seriously. Teaching online is an art more than a science, just like teaching in a regular classroom. Getting help to be a better teacher isn't a sign of being incompetent, I believe: on the contrary it is a sign that you want to become better.

So, this is better.

I know that Nippising University offers an AQ in online learning. This is not the year for me to start another online University level course, but I think with some of the stuff I'm doing with my various classes, I might just become better at it anyway. I'm kinda hoping the Travels in eDucation happens again.

As I am thinking and editing this post, it occours to me that I started as an online teacher, rather badly judging from the results I have recently re-read. I've gained some experience and gotten better. At least I think.

One wonders, and hopes.

Here's a bunch more teacher blogs I just got emailed to me ...

I thought Idaho was the potato capital of the USA. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment