OK, so I'm a quick learner, or I get bored. Not sure which, but I am going to find out, soon enough.
I am teaching adults, and I am just finishing off a class. Grade Twleve College level English to be exact. (The ALC works in something called a Module; 30 business days, roughly five hours a day in class and you can get a high school credit. Three Modules is a semester in school...trust me, it's cool. My mom said so.)
Anyway, the core novel for the course was 1984; one of the many books which made me want to be a teacher. (Hmmm ... seems I just came up with another blog topic ... "Books that make you want to be a teacher...) Since I want to work on my digital accent, rather than giving them a Culminating Activity essay to do, I am asking them to do a blog, based around 1984.
(that is to say, I am asking my adult students to do what we are doing in this "Travels in E-Ducation" thingy)
What I want them to think and post about are ideas like this:
See where totalitarianism exists today, what does it look like, how do people resist it, what can they do to help? Why should they care?
Is it going to be like that? I dunno, but I sure hope this flies....
I read "1984" when I was far too young. It was -- disturbing.
ReplyDeleteI read it when I was in high school. I thought it might be a bit too much for me, but instead I found it something that made me want more.
ReplyDeleteHard to explain, I guess, without sounding sort of hokie.