
I read a few blogs every week, espcially if the author sends me a link via email.
I'm interested in Bodyforwife, a blog for over 40 men's health. I read his post today about 315. This is a weight that I am supposed to try and train my body to lift and then I can consider myself a man.
How do I write this?
"Phooey".
Not because I can't do it (honestly, I've never tried - I'm much more interested in losing body fat, functional strength and training for sports: not to many calls for benching 315 in the middle of a rugby game.) Not because I want to appeal to that inner cave man in me (he's much more satisfied with eating meat anyways) but because I think that is just plain silly.
Setting numbers like that is just plain dumb. Honestly, I think I would ruin my trip to the gym if I always had this number I had to lift in my head. I like to go to the gym, get some lifting in - sometimes heavy, sometimes light, and a run, too.
Most of the trainers out there would disagree with my use of running as a valuable use of time, but I am trying to use up calries and get ready for a 5k run on March 13.
The fact that I am running with a rugby club and it is sponsored by a bar plays into the reason why I am getting ready for the run. It's fun, darn it!
And the male testosterone he-man in me is perfectly satisfied.
If you can't bench 315 you are not a real man. Think about it.
ReplyDeleteI am a real man; who cares what the plates say? And I want to point out that making the plates face in one direction is also sill.
ReplyDeleteAnd stop using "Nichol statements" to end your comments....;)