
I linked off of a link, and I have no idear how I got there, but I wound up on a website called "Yudu". I guess the name is a careful pun, which gets explained here.
Seems there is a place for digital publication, so long as you pay 150 bucks for the year. Free to read, you can purchase some through Palpal (I bought a kettlebell magazine, just so I could say I bought a magazine). It is well written, at least, and it does give pause to think for a moment about what the textbook world must be thinking about. Why publish expensive texts only to replace them the year following?
Why would professors do that? Oh, right, money. I recall some of my Engineering bredren complaining that one or two of their profs made their classes buy the text. Then, change a few charts to get another edition the following year and then made that year buy the new text. I once brought back an 80.00 text to the bookstore and they offered 80 cents for it. Same reason - the prof changed the text for the next year.
This Yudu website might be a glimpse into the falling down of that particular model.
Reading the mag was merely ok. I say that because I have been staring at a computer screen every day, almost all day, for the last week. I think I have gotten my daughter's virus or something. My throat is sore, and this staying up late isn't helping.
Meh, it's Family Day Monday, so I guess I can afford to be up this late on a Saturday, erm, Sunday morning. Uggh. I need sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment