I started reading about helicopter parents today.
You know, I am so very glad that the vast majority of the students with whom I share a classroom are over 18. I have had some interesting exchanges with parents of my students, but they are usually quite short; after someone turns 18, the parents have to have a signed permission form from the child, for me to even speak to them.
“Hi, It’s Mrs So-and-so. I’m Blah Blah’s mother. I’m wondering how she’s doing in you class.”
“Well, I do have to ask if Blah Blah is 18.”
“Why, yes, she is.”
“Then I can’t tell you anything, as she is an adult.”
I have had some persistent parents call me repeatedly, such that I have had to involve the Admin of the school. That was not pleasant. However, it does require a lot of growing up to be done by the parents. Ooops, I mean the children.
Seems I am not the only one suggesting that at some point in time, I can stop actively parenting and let my kids be themselves.
Funny thing about these helicopter parents, a few years ago I had a parent of one of my students come in to talk to my seniors-he works for a "local" university as an evolutionary biology professor. He mentioned that even he and other colleagues were having trouble with parents at the university level. He personally had the parents of a failing student come to his office and ask why their "baby" was failing the course. They mentioned it was his first time away from home and he was having a rough time with it, etc, etc. I couldn't imagine my parents coming in to talk to my university profs regarding my performance! I would be mortified, although I don't think I'd ever have to worry about this situation-my parents helped me move all my personal belongings into my tiny paper double room at UoG on the first day of school-said "good riddance" and never looked back! They were happy to see me go (and vice versa),I had to advocate for myself and dig myself out of any holes I fell into-what a concept-INDEPENDENCE, and no Hovering on their part! I guess we can call that good parenting!
ReplyDeleteMy buddy is a bio prof at LSU (home of the Tigers!) and he's had a few issues with parents. Granted it is the States, but I know the same happens here.
ReplyDeleteOn the CBC this week was this http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2010/hyperparents/index.html
about hyper parents. Brutal. I have just promised myself that my kids will learn how to be a grown up. Goofy, happy grown ups, but ones which can self-advocate and actually not have to rely on me for everything.