

I'm at the COYO Conference for the first time, both yesterday and today. I sat through a very good speech by Dr Robert Brooks' while the AC froze my butt off. Seriously, it was kinda scary how cold it was. But the place, Sheraton on the Falls is always a really cool place. If you haven't been to the waterpark there, stop what you are doing right now, take a child there and go have fun. Stay overnight, though. It's much better and the breakfasts are pretty good. The scenery is also awesome.
Anyway, the lunch was pretty good and I got a chance to talk to some of the other people there. The talk I choose to register for after lunch nearly made me puke. It was called "Drug Identification", and I am almost regretting signing up. Kurt Vonnegut was just so correct: we are one messed up species. The person leading the session, among other things, made a convincing presentation that drug use was a "Learned Behavior". Which means that children learn the drug trade from their parents/caregivers. He had photos and video to underscore his personal experience.
I left the conference to pick up one of my daughters and took her to her gymnastics club. My rear end was so sore from all the sitting, I stood for the 90 minute class. I looked around and saw that these people, these suburbanites I was surrounded by, are just like me: deathly afraid of the people I had spent the afternoon bearing witness to, and rather concerned with their own children's future.
But how many of them harbored some dark secrets? I prefer to believe that my own children will learn my habits of fitness, literacy and fun nature. We laugh a lot. We read a lot and they'll watch me run in a 5k race mid-March. I'm just worried, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment