Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A place I don't want to go, but need to know about anyway

For those of you not in the know, this blog is an atttempt by me and several other people I work with to learn more about the internet, and how it is affecting how we do our jobs.

In the past, I've seen visions of the future, visions of what it is like and things that people have done to demonstrate what they have learned on the internet. This blog, however, is about things they learned while in Afghanistan. Even though the writer(s) are all American (from what I have read) the lessons hold true for me as a Canadian. The people I elected sent troops there, and I'd like to know what life is like for them there.

Last bnight I watched the film "The way we get by" which I thought was pretty good, to be frank. But it focusses on the people here, as opposed to the people in harm's way. There were several parts that brought me to tears. What was interesting was the way in which I got to the ALL blog. I follow a few blogs, posted on my blog on the right.

I was semi-unoccupied this morning and just decided to click on the other followers of one blog that I also follow. Then I did the same again. Some rather interesting stuff out there.

What did I learn? I learnt about fitness, about art and about life in Afghanistan and I am posting about it right now.I also saw a video about the snow falling in the US. How does a teacher monitor this type of open ended learning, and how does one provide marks for the Ministry of Education? Is this educational?

Should I be planning my "Digital Immigrant" lesson and getting ready to do my job, or did I get ready to do my job, perhaps overcoming my accent?

PS This is also cool.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chess,
    My students write to my cousin in Afghanistan.
    He is a soldier with the Canadian military.
    I teach 8 year olds and we connect with him through letters/pictures/postcards/emails.
    We talk, write, pray, think about peace daily. It is all about the connections.
    My students love my world map. I only take it out about every 6 weeks. It is the size of my entire black board. We talk about the size of what God created and what peace is for God.
    What does peace look like there/here?
    What does peace feel like there/here?
    What does peace sound like there/here?
    What does peace smell like there/here?
    What does peace taste like there/here?
    Peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be interesting for your students - to make real contact with someone you know in harm's way. That is a conctrete way that we can show, instead of tell, our students that life here, on our part of the "Pale Blue Dot", is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete