
I’m going to do a bit of writing today about how links affect reading. A bit of reading, too.
I mean we could get out the textbook, read it and then do the questions. If there is a word we don’t know, we can ask the teacher who will tell us to grab a dictionary. How interesting.
Or
If we are reading the text, and a word we don’t know is used, we can click on it (or highlight it) and find out what it means online. Using the same technology used to chat with friends (ie, something most students are already comfortable using) students SHOULD discover more ideas about more ideas. When they come to the end and it time to for an assignment, what is it we want them to answer questions on?
Facts that were in the text? Haven’t you heard of Google?
Quotes from the text? Isn’t copying the textbook something that demands a punishment in parts of the world?
What then? What does 21st Century learning look like?
How about a WebQuest?
A series of links and opinion based questions, that need to be done quickly, around a certain topic.
How about one on 1984, one of my favourite novels EVA?
BTW, I put one together in about an hour yesterday. The reactions and learning I should see should be interesting.
If we are discussing hyperlinks with students, are we focusing on the technical aspect or the meaning-making aspect of the link? Are we teaching them to distinguish when they might want to read a text from start to finish vs. times when they might wish to explore? And should we wait until the end of the unit to get them to answer questions, or should the start and subsequent direction of the unit be about their questions and how they choose to explore the topics? There is a lot of talk about students taking charge of their own learning, but how authentic is it if we think it means getting them to do what we want them to do?
ReplyDeleteIn this particualr case, I organized their explorations; I had them google some aspects and others I gave them specific requirements to fulfill.
ReplyDeleteThis was at the start of the unit, but I could see how easy it would be to complete such a web based assignment closer to the end of the unit.
As for them taking charge of their own learning, I think that is something which I have to demonstrate to them. They seem somewhat overly concerned with Facebook and online games. Or gambling/other immoral vices. (funny story there)
There are times when it is acceptable to be on facebook, but 24/7? When they should be focussed on something else? When they have work to be completed?
And you knew what you wanted them to get out of the experience through the links you set up and what was "googleable" and what wasn't. I actually like the thought of using the WwebQuest at the front of the unit - activating knowledge and setting up questions - although I agree it could work well at the end.
ReplyDeleteAs for the 24/7 Facebook thing, if we don't model it for them, where will they learn that self-control? I never worry when teachers tell me that students know more about the technology than they do - many students don't know how to use it to support their own learning - just how to use it for their own amusement.
For a certain percentage of the students I teach, they are learning slowly that perhaps having to actually pay their own phone bill is reality enough and that perhaps it is time to move along to something less digital.
ReplyDeleteAs for their own amusement - well, some have gotten to out of sorts with angry hatefilled texts that they lash out in class against someone who isn't even there. It's odd.
I would try and teach my fellow teachers about facebook, and how it might compliment their teaching, but run into a lot of personal issues about the use of technology with making the personal public.
As for teaching my students about using the internet for learning, I try and get them to see what it is I am doing through a Spec Ed part 2 through OISE. It isn't easy, as some fo them suspect. And requires a lot of reading. Which they don't expect. Some lack the discipline, which they also don't see when signing up for an online course. Both of which I speak and show them (or at least try to) on a regular basis.